Prepare to Adopt
Research the care and needs of any species you are wanting to adopt prior to enquiring about their status. There are many good on-line websites full of information. We have included links to a number of good informational sites on our Resources page.
Preview an available pet on our Available Animals page, at an adoption event or make arrangements to visit the main foster location to meet our available animals. Email Fenella at email@example.com with any questions, to talk about the specifics of any animal. or to ask for certain animals to be brought to an event. For Rat Adoptions and questions, call Antonella at 619 916 4030 (voice only, can't receive texts), or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet with an adoption volunteer who is trained to help make the best pet match for you and the pet. Each pet up for adoption has received behavioral and health assessments in order to help determine the best home for that pet. Volunteers will help you decide if the animal you are interested in is a good match for your lifestyle and will direct you to any pets that may be appropriate. If you are looking for a companion for an animal that you already have at home, please let us know and bring the animal with you so that we can check them over and begin introductions to make sure we find the best match for your situation.
- Complete the adoption once you and our adoption volunteers agree that you've found a great match. We prefer that all members of the household (including other pets that will be interacting with the new animal) are present during the adoption process to ensure that the chosen pet is compatible with everyone. If they are unavailable, a "hold" may be placed on the pet for a short period in order for any family or other pets to come in and meet with us and the pet.
At the time of adoption, you will be asked to sign a contract stipulating:
1. You will not breed the animal.
2. The animal will receive veterinary care
3. The animal will be treated humanely
4. If you are unable to care for the animal for any reason, it is to be returned to Wee Companions.
The Adoption Contract is a binding legal document, you must be 18 years or older to sign.
- Bring a carrier with you to safely transport your new family member home.
We reserve the right to deny adoption to anyone.
Wee Companions is not a public shelter, appointments are required for individual adoptions.